Tena Koutou Whanau Ma
Every child is unique. We provide quality diverse opportunities to meet your child's needs.
We are a team passionate about and skilled in delivering learning opportunities of excellent quality to meet your child's needs in their emergent adolescent middle years of schooling. All our work is based on sound research of educational best practice for your child. These are crucial and exciting years. Mokoia, as an Intermediate School, is specially designed to meet the learning and development needs of the intermediate age group. Both inside and outside the classroom, your child will utilise their tremendous energies and stretch them in all aspects of learning. Your child will have fun while they develop strategies for lifelong learning.
We have the highest expectations of our students and ourselves. We expect staff and students to model all values of Mokoia Intermediate from our Te Tihi o Mana model. We expect that we will all try the diverse opportunities offered at Mokoia Intermediate.
We show our genuine commitment to a learning community of quality to meet your child's needs by providing:
- non specialist classes, some extra choices in groupings to meet your child's needs, interests and talents.
- specialised classes and across the school extension groups to meet the needs of gifted and talented children.
- laptop & BYOD classes to meet your child's needs if they have a special interest or abilities in digital technologies.
- specialised classes if you want the opportunity of Immersion Maori Language Learning.
- well staffed and effective programmes of extra learning support for your child if there are areas in which they have difficulties.
- Excellent programmes in English, Mathematics & Science - students will make more than a year’s progress for each year your child is at Mokoia Intermediate.
- A robust approach to help your child learn critical thinking skills and use them in problem based learning scenarios, which are interesting, authentic and relevant (and to apply them in other areas).
- Specialist teachers and excellent facilities for all the technologies and for Science, Art and Music.
- International language learning in different languages.
- A wide range of sports and arts activities – many of our students will gain representative status and develop new interests.
- Opportunities to make new friends, strengthen friendships and socialise, and learning new skills.
- Lots of different situations in which your child can develop leadership skills.
- A strong pastoral care system with, in school support for your child and families and great relationships with outside agencies for further support.
At Mokoia Intermediate, your child can look forward to making excellent academic progress, having fun and getting involved in a wide range of new areas of learning, developing social and citizenship skills and being well prepared for Secondary School. We look forward to working with you, your child and whanau.